Monday, August 16, 2004

Readability of Documents


KIS = Keep It Simple!
Posted by Hello

When developing text materials for Aboriginal participants is anyone utilising the readability scores option incorporated in the MS Word program?

When Microsoft Word finishes checking spelling and grammar, it can also display information about the reading level of the document.

Note: You have to have your reading statistics box ticked in the options of the spelling & grammar tag.

Flesch Reading Ease score:
Rates text on a 100-point scale; the higher the score, the easier it is to understand the document.

For most standard documents, aim for a score of approximately 60 to 70.

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score
Rates text on a U.S. grade-school level.

For example, a score of 8.0 means that an eighth grader can understand the document.

For most standard documents, aim for a score of approximately 7.0 to 8.0.


Flesch Readability Score
Posted by Hello

"I have a spelling checker
It came with my PC;
It plainly marks four my revue
Mistakes I cannot sea.
I've run this poem threw it,
I'm sure your pleased too no,
Its letter perfect in it's weigh,
My checker tolled me sew."
-Janet Minor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home